Saturday, August 28, 2010

Who's on your lunchbox?

Hello Friends and Welcome Back!

Back in the day when I was in elementary school, we were always excited and depressed about the end of summer and the beginning of a new school year. For my brother and I, it meant a little relief from the small farm chores of haying, building fences, and chasing cows.

Now came the getting up extra early and walking ALL the way to the end of the driveway to catch the bus, which didn't seem nearly as long a walk if I were going to my friend's house to play! Also came the cool stuff that we "had" to have for the new school year, new glue sticks, yellow pencils, three prong folders, and if you were lucky, a new pencil box. But most importantly, I really needed that "Six Million Dollar Man" lunchbox if I were going to be successful "readin, writin, and doin rithmitic" that year!

Fortunately for me, we were one of the first to be picked up by our bus and were able to pick the best of the seats. We even had enough time to switch a few seats to find the one we liked best before anyone else. We just had to make sure to strategically place our lunchbox to get the most visibility for Lee Majors in the passing glances of the other bus riders, especially the girls.

Now we live in the day of phones that can text, facebook, twitter, google, webserf, calculate, play movies, get directions,  tell you the weather in Newfoundland, and get this.....you can even talk to someone verbally live! And how could we live without the MP3 or Ipod player that holds more songs than have ever been written, or more pictures than have ever been taken, at least seems that way to me?

Yes, times have definately changed, and so has the cool stuff. And while I try to convince myself and you that our "homeschooled angels" go through the grades without the bias and pressures that we all have faced, being free to pursue that pre-ivy leauge education, well let me convince myself first, and I'll get back to you.

 From chalkboards to touchscreens, we all are faced with the competiveness of the workplace, family, society, and school.  How will our angels respond? Will they be sensitive to the less fortunate? Will they understand the value of the education that you are working so hard to give them? Or possibly act like other kids, which by the way, they are!  Let us teach them these lessons well!

In closing, if there were a "homeschool bus" that picked up the homeschooling kids in your city, what would they be noticing as they walked past the lucky ones who were first on the bus? A glimpse of Dell or Mac? For this is truly the cool stuff of learning, and yes it even beats your Star Wars lunchbox!

May God Bless Homeschooling Dad's the world over! I'll meet you back in the Garage soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment