Monday, August 16, 2010

Remember When.....

Men,

Remember when you and your family made the decision to begin homeschooling? Like anything that you do in life, it probably was not the easiest decision you made. If you  had a friend or family member that was homeschooling, you should consider yourself lucky to have the resource to get information first hand and not from a book.

There are as many reasons to homeschool as there are to not to homeschool. Maybe you decided to homeschool due to your religious views, the condition of your local schools, the educational quality of your local schools. Maybe because you have a budding Olympian that must practice many hours a day, or for your child's health or dietary reasons. To me, all are valid reasons, and I salute all that have decided to take on the challenge.

No matter what the reason, the bottom line is giving your child the best possible education, isn't it? Have you ever questioned yourself as to if you had made the right decision? Did you ever catch one of those "feel good" news stories on TV about how a group of high school kids are helping feed the homeless, helping to clean up a neighborhood, or starting a recycling program at the school that they attend, and wonder just a little what your child would be like if they had that opportunity? 

 I have! And my conclusion is this, I have NO regrets! We are closer as a family now than we have ever been. My kids now value the things that they get more (usually), and I value the things that I am able to give them (definitely). For each kid that is doing good works from the constraints of public education, I am sure they are hundreds that are barely making it through.

Oddly enough as it turns out, now when I see the "feel good" news story about a group of public schooled kids doing good things, I truly am happy for them and the community in which they live. I also wonder, what if those kids that are doing the good things had the same opportunity that my kids have, what other awesome things would they be doing? And what if the kids that are barely making it through the system, had the love and support of a homeschooling parent on their side? Just imagine the difference in our world.

May God Bless the Homeschooling families and dad's around the world! See you next time in, Dad's Homeschool Garage!

No comments:

Post a Comment